Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Barbells for Boobs

If you have spent more than about 15 minutes with me, you probably already know that I love CrossFit. I won't go so far to say that I am obsessed with it, but okay, I am obsessed with it. That has pretty much been the case since I first walked into CrossFit Cache Valley in October 2009 (now Cache Valley Strength & Conditioning) at the recommendation of a couple of friends. Since that time I've averaged about 5 workouts a week, and rarely miss more than a few days at a time.

In April 2010 when we moved away from Logan, I became one of the charter members of the newly opened CrossFit Timpanogos in Lehi, where I have since become a coach and generally love everyone and everything about that place. In October 2010 we found out about a fundraiser that some CrossFitters in California started for breast cancer awareness month called Barbells for Boobs (if you would like to find out more, or donate to the cause, you can do that here). Participants donate and complete the CF benchmark workout "Grace", and the money goes to a group called Mammograms in Action that helps women and men, who would otherwise not be able to afford it, get life-saving screenings like mammograms. Supporters can also donate without doing the workout.

I can always appreciate a good cause, and when it has a catchy name like Barbells for Boobs, and involves a CrossFit workout, I'm on board. Our small gym participated in the event the first year, had a good time, and we have participated in it every year since. We're never the gym that raises the most money, but we have been able to contribute a few thousand dollars over the years.

I had been thinking about the event during the summer, wondering when I should start planning for it, when I was myself diagnosed with breast cancer. Despite the obvious challenge of not really knowing what my next few months were going to be like, I knew we had to continue with the fundraiser. In fact, I figured I could probably exploit my condition to help raise a little bit more money for the cause. I even got a chance to go on KUTV and promote it in advance, with some help from a couple of amazing athletes from CF Timpanogos.


Just 5 days after my surgery, I was able to attend and see friends and strangers come out to support the cause. This year we had over 50 donors, and about 120 people who did the workout, which was an amazing turnout. I want to send out a special thanks to everyone who participated, and those involved in putting the event together, including our sponsors that donated prizes--CrossFit Timpanogos, Progenex, Gnarly Full-on Nutrition, Texas Roadhouse in Lehi, Anytime Fitness Tanning in Saratoga Springs, SexyModest Boutique, Ute CrossFit, and RidgeCrest Herbals.

1 comment:

  1. Tremendous! I cannot believe you did this just 5 days after. You truly are amazing.

    ReplyDelete